Writing Retreat in Bali (Bali Mountain Retreat) June 20-28 2013
Nestled high on the eastern slopes of Mount Batukaru in central Bali is a tranquil paradise.
Above the area where we will meet for evening critique is a lovely open room from which early rising participants will be blessed with an amazing view of Mt Agung at sunrise. The retreat center is perfectly placed to work, relax, connect and take in the gifts of the sacred mountain.
One can take a walk through the terraced rice fields or into the rainforest to a sacred temple. Stroll to the village or simply relax and take in the natural beauty of the landscape.
Optional group yoga sessions will be held each morning in an open-air studio. Upon passing the statue of Saraswati, one enters the yoga space and enjoys its beautiful pitched roof, dark wood floors and large windows which open onto vast views of the jungle and the surrounding mountains.
The restaurant is located in a large house set in lush gardens– the perfect location for enjoying local specialties.
Partial scholarships available–for a limited time only. Simply mention your need in your application.
Each double room is well furnished with modern amenities. Depending on numbers, a single room may be available for an extra fee upon request.
The restaurant uses the freshest of produce (organically grown when possible). Our menu features both Western and Asian cuisine including many Balinese specialties.
The Dragonfly Spa at the retreat center offers an extensive range of therapeutic massage treatments which aim to revitalize and restore balance to mind and body.
- Balinese massage
- Relaxing Massage
- Reflexology with Back, Shoulder and Head Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Back, Shoulder and Head Massage
- Head, Foot and Hand Massage
The unique location in Central Bali enables the retreat center to offer daytrips to a wide range of destinations including the calm beaches of Bali’s north coast, the shopping districts of Ubud and Tabanan, the mountain lakes of Central Bali, as well as the fishing villages of Jembrana in the west of Bali. (All within 1 ½ hours traveling time). As a group we will travel together to a few of these places based on interest.
The guides at the retreat center are willing to take you to some of Bali’s most revered temples. For example: Bali’s father temple, Pura Batukaru and the famous Tanah Lot temple on the coast, both of which are in Tabanan (1 hour traveling time).
Each day at this retreat is a day into deeper self realization and relaxation. The retreat is during peak season in Bali, though far from the touristed areas. The weather will be ideal.
The retreat was both rejuvenating and productive. Starting and ending the days with yoga brought forth a new level of openness. Nestled in between these sessions were carefully crafted writing exercises focused on personal goals as well as creative immersion into poetry, prose, and whatever each writer was inspired to create.
If you are considering Stephen and Jade’s retreats, I would highly recommend them. Read their website, sign up for their newsletter, and when you find yourself visiting their website often, being drawn to the testimonials and retreat descriptions and imagining yourself at a retreat, take a leap of faith and apply. It may be the best present you give yourself!
-P.S., Cambridge, MA – 2011 Wellness Immersion Retreat Participant
We receive many requests for information about this retreat. To reserve your spot we suggest sending your application now.
What’s included in the retreat
- Ground transportation to and from the estate from the airport
- Room and board
- Tuition for all daily yoga classes, writing critiques, and wellness workshops
- Ethically-printed, sustainable personal journal and reading packet for the retreat
- Complimentary arrival drink & refreshments
- Balinese blessing upon arrival to Mount Batukaru
- Accommodation with daily housekeeping service
- All meals at Bali Mountain Retreat, which include breakfasts, lunches, dinners and refreshments
- Full hot buffet breakfast : Typical breakfast includes: eggs (any style), sautéed green vegetables and mushroom, curried tomatoes, toast, bacon or potato cake, fresh tropical fruit salad and yoghurt, tea, coffee and orange juice, homemade muesli and/or cereal.
- Buffet lunch: Typically a mix of Indonesian styled dishes e.g.crispy tempe, ayam bakar, nasi kuning, cap cay, and organic raw food dishes, quiches and salads. Fruit platter, teas, coffee and mountain spring water.
- Buffet dinner: A mix of 2 international meat dishes, up to 4 vegetarian dishes, soup and rice or potato dishes. This is followed by a choice of 2-3 desserts e.g. fried bananas and ice cream, chocolate cake and cream or ice cream.
- Refreshments are offered twice daily for morning and afternoon tea. This includes fresh fruit, homemade slice/biscuits and a cake e.g. banana cake as well as teas, coffee and mountain spring water.
- Complimentary Balinese massage (1 hour)
- Complimentary drinking water for the duration of the retreat- mountain spring water which is UV filtered
- WIFI access (use own laptop)
- Guided trek through the cacao and coffee plantations to the rice fields and into the local village (3hrs)
- Balinese decoration class (conducted simultaneously)
- Night Performance – Traditional Balinese Joged Bumbung dance
- Daily yoga classes with Jade and use of yoga studio and joglo for the duration of the retreat
- Daily writing talks
- One on one writing guidance with Stephen
Total Price of Program
(in US Dollars)
27972297 – Budget Bali Gede (double) – one room available 29572457 – Superior Teak House (double) – four rooms available 27972297 – Standard Teak House (double) – two rooms available 26092109 – Budget Rice House (single) – two rooms available
The total is split into two easy payments:
Confirmation deposit to reserve your spot: 495 USD
Remaining payment: (depends on your room choice)
As always, we’ll get you to and from the airport (DPS – Denpasar Bali, around noon on June 20), the costs of yoga/breathwork and critique/workouts/writing instruction are included, breakfast, lunch and dinner are included, use of facilities are included. Airfare is not included.
Additional cost for single room: 600 USD
Applications will be reviewed the order in which they are received. Due to the appeal of the retreat offerings, it is possible that the course will fill up soon. If you are approved, you must be prepared to pay the first installment to ensure you retain your space or you will lose it to someone else. The first installment goes toward the total amount and reserves your space. Payments are nonrefundable. Please make your payment as soon as possible and come on a retreat with us!
Payment Plan Option
For participants unable to pay for the entire retreat at once, we offer a payment plan. After paying the deposit, you can split the remaining cost of the retreat into thirds and pay only that amount each month for three months. We want everyone whose application gets accepted to be able to participate in this experience, and so we will be happy to use this payment plan option to make this retreat a reality for you.
Should You Apply?
If you can answer yes to each of the following questions, this retreat is a good fit for you:
- Do you have an appreciation for the unique traditions of other cultures?
- Would you like to be much more productive with your writing?
- Do you strive for greater physical and emotional well-being?
- Are you excited to take part in a new and empowering routine that includes the options of daily writing, yoga, painting, appreciation of nature, and the warm community of creative people?
- Are you ready for focused time for rejuvenation, self-development and peace?
How to Apply
If your heart says yes to this experience, send your application while there is still space available.